A “platform” is a powerful type of ecosystem, typically created and owned by a single business or entity, but deliberately designed to attract the active participation of large numbers of other actors. It could also be seen as “a technical and organizational context in which a community can interact to achieve a specific purpose.”
The main issue, that there is no off-the-shelves ready to use “business platform” for your particular business. You have to create your own. In order to help you build yours, we introduced the Minimum Viable Enterprise Platform and propose some architecture and technology hints to build it.
The Minimum Enterprise Viable Platform
Platform Projects I Made (co-creation)
These are the recent platforms I co-created with others:
- PRISE Platform in the Polaris Research Project
- Le.Taxi: French Gov. Open Data Taxi
- Catalogue: Open Source and Open Data Transport platform
- IT as a Service, using Nanocloud, Moskitos and Convertigo.
Some recent articles I wrote on platform (in French):
- Les transports de demain, des plateformes unifiées grâce à la Blockchain.
- Plateforme numérique d’entreprise : à faire soi-même
- Programmer sans coder ? Tout le monde peut le faire en entreprise
Recommended Resources (English)
Interesting documents to read:
- The emporium strikes back. Platforms are the future—but not for everyone (The Economist).
- A Cheat Sheet for Marketers on the Future of Digital Platforms (HBR).
- How Platform Coops Can Beat Death Stars Like Uber to Create a Real Sharing Economy.
- The 3rd Platform: Enabling Digital Transformation (IDC).
- The Rise of the 4th Platform: Pervasive Community, Data, Devices, and Intelligence by Dion Hinchcliffe.
- Ecosystems and digital business models by VisionMobile.
- How AirBNB designs for Trust (video by Joe Gebbia).
- The Fundamentals of Platform Strategy: Creating Genuine Value with APIs by 3Scale.
- Platform for Digital Transformation by Asanka Abeysinghe (WSO2).
- The Platform Manifesto by Sangeet Paul Choudary.
- Platform Design Toolkit
Dedicated web sites on the subject:
Example of platforms:
- Platform as a Service: Apprenda / Cap Gemini Apollo / Deis / Open Mustard / PaaSTA / Platform.Sh / WSO2
- iOT platform: Afero / Amazon iOT / Azure iOT / Citizen Data / Samsara / Terbine and OpenConnectivity.org
- TransportAPI: the digital platform for transport.
- Commerce as a Service by Hybris: YaaS is a microservices ecosystem helping businesses to rapidly augment and build new, highly flexible solutions.
- Walmart platform (open source):
- Electrode is a platform for building universal React/Node.js applications with standardized structure, best practices, and modern technologies baked in.
- OneOps is a cloud management and application lifecycle management platform that developers use to both develop and launch new products faster, and to more easily maintain them throughout their entire lifecycle.
Recommended Resources (French)
"Des startups d’état à l’état plateforme" by Pierre Pezziardi et Henri Verdier.